- KILMENY, a large quoad sacra parish, in the parish of Kilarrow, district of Islay, county of Argyll, 4 miles (S. W. by S.) from Portaskaig; containing 1756 inhabitants. This district is in the north-eastern part of the island of Islay, and is between eleven and twelve miles in its greatest length, and from eight to nine miles in its greatest breadth, forming an area of sixtysix square miles. The description of the surface and nature of the soil is comprehended in the account given of Kilarrow, which see. There are lead-mines, but they have not been worked to any extent for a number of years; and limestone and mica-slate abound. The road from Bowmore to Portaskaig passes through; and the latter village is the place of ordinary communication with the main land of Scotland. A horse-market is held two or three times annually. The ecclesiastical affairs are under the presbytery of Islay and synod of Argyll, and the patronage is vested in the Crown: the stipend of the minister is £120, received from the exchequer, with a manse, and a glebe valued at £8 per annum. The church, built about sixty-four years ago, and repaired in 1826, is a plain structure. The parochial school has been lately erected, by government; the salary of the master is £35. There are some remains of encampments; and in Portanellan lake are the ruins of a chapel and dwelling-house, the latter said to have been inhabited at one time by the Mac Donalds, of the Isles.
A Topographical dictionary of Scotland. Samuel Lewis. 1856.